These errors can be caused by a wide array of different issues, so there is not a universal fix. These are some troubleshooting steps that have worked for many users:
- Update your video drivers OR step back through previous driver versions until you find a version that may resolve the issue. You can download video drivers from your graphics card manufacturer’s website.
- It is possible that some files did not install properly or are corrupted. You can verify your game data by right clicking on Homeworld Remastered in the game library, click on Properties, then select the “Local files” tab and click on “Verify integrity of game cache” (defragmenting the cache files in this menu is also a good idea to help performance, if you have never done so). If this does not resolve the issue, you can try uninstalling and reinstalling Homeworld Remastered and the latest update.
- Uninstall/clean/update your NVIDIA PhysX drivers - http://www.nvidia.com/object/physx-9.12.0613-driver.html
- Update your Microsoft C++ redistributables. You will need to install the C++ 2005, 2008, 2010, and 2010 SP1 versions to ensure compatibility. All four C++ redistributable packages are required. Please ensure you install the x86 version for 32-bit applications. You can find these 4 versions at the following links. Install each of them one at a time, and if given the option, select to "Repair" the installation.
Visual C++ Redistributable 2005 x86 – http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=3387
Visual C++ Redistributable 2008 x86 - http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=29
Visual C++ Redistributable 2010 x86 - http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=5555
Visual C++ Redistributable 2010 SP1 x86 - http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=8328
- Install Microsoft .NET 4 Framework - http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=17851
- Update AMD CPU Drivers (WinXP / AMD Only) - http://support.amd.com
- Install the latest service pack and updates from Windows Update for your version of Windows.
- Ensure your anti-virus software was disabled during installation. You may need to uninstall, disable any anti-virus or security software that may conflict with the installer, then reinstall.
- Try running the game in compatibility mode for Windows XP SP3.
- Try setting the game's affinity to one core in the Windows Task Manager process list. You can do this by adding “-onethread” to the Launch Options in the Properties for Homeworld Remastered inside Steam.
- Disable Catalyst AI if using an AMD video card.
- Install missing .dll files any errors are calling for from Microsoft (or other sources, like your video card manufacturer).
If you’re still experiencing problems after this, submit a ticket and we’ll troubleshoot from there.
As part of that troubleshooting, a diagnostic file called DxDiag.txt would be extremely helpful. To create a DxDiag and send it back to us, please follow the instructions below:
1) Press and hold the Windows key and the letter R on your keyboard
2) Type dxdiag into the prompt that appears.
3) Click OK.
4) Once in the DirectX Diagnostic Tool, click Save All Information…
5) Select where you want to save DxDiag.txt and attach that file in your ticket.